TIPS / NEWS
Fall Maintenance Tips
With fall upon us, now is the time to get your auto in shape for the up-coming colder months. Here are a few helpful tips that everyone should do:
- Have your oil changed
- Rotate your tires; check for the correct air pressure for fall and winter driving and double check your tire tread depth.
- Check your “under-hood” fluids and top them off.
- Have your brakes checked, as well as all the belts and hoses.
- Check to be sure all of your lights are operating and no bulbs are burned out.
- Replace windshield wiper blades if they are worn.
- Check your battery and if needed, replace.
Now that your car is in shape, time to do the same for your home. Here are some home care tips:
- Trim tree limbs away from roof and home.
- Fix walkways and entry areas to eliminate any tripping hazards.
- Check your windows and doors for drafts and weather-strip.
- Store your seasonal outdoor furniture.
- Store your outdoor lawn equipment and get out your shovels and ice-melt supplies.
- Clean your gutters of any leaves. While checking that, be sure to check your roof as well for any loose shingles.
- Check and service your furnace before the cold weather arrives.
Now for a favorite fall recipe:
Slow Cooker Hot Spiced Apple Cider
With just four ingredients – okay, five if you spike it with your favorite rum – this Crock Pot hot spiced apple cider couldn’t be any easier to make. It’s the perfect excuse to get out there and rake the leaves.
Yield: 8 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 2 quarts (64 ounces or 8 cups) apple cider
- six 3-inch cinnamon sticks, plus more for serving if desired
- 1 medium orange
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- Rum of your choice (optional)
- Additional cinnamon sticks for serving (optional)
- Pour apple cider into a 2.5-quart or larger Crock Pot or other slow cooker. Add cinnamon sticks to cider.
- With a toothpick, poke holes all around the orange, about 1/2 inch to 1 inch apart. Carefully poke the cloves into the toothpick holes in the orange.
- Place orange into the cider in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low until hot and spiced through, about 4 hours. Ladle into mugs along with an ounce or so of rum if using. Place a cinnamon stick in each glass if desired and serve.